Heading Off to Sukuthai!


Our home away from comfort: Baan Suan Guest House

We have just finished 2 days in Ayutthaya and I think both of us are ready to go. Ayutthaya was a mix of different worlds for me, it kind of reminded me of Panama but with temple ruins and night markets full of chicken parts and whole fish being cooked on racks. Again, I apologize for the lack of pics in this post, but as soon as we get to Sukuthai I will take care of that because I took some SERIOUS pics of the night market here. I didnt however catch the moment that mom accidently made eye contact with one of the mangy dogs who then lunged and howled at her. You arent supposed to make eye contact with any dogs here because they are gang dogs, minus the gat, but they will attack you. I would attack someone too if I was living on the streets waiting for scraps of fish eyes and my hair hadnt been brushed in years. Although, I guess the dogs and I have more in common in the hair dept. than I thought...

We spent the day on bikes, cruising around the island, running into elephants walking across the road. I wish I could tell you it was really exciting to see the elephants but as soon as I saw that they are chained up to a railing and not allowed to move more than a foot the dream sort of disolved for me. I am looking forward to the elephant rescue farm mom and I will go to in Chiang Rai, they let the elephants run around and be freeeeeee. Much more my style. After riding camels in Israel I think I am set on making large animals carry me around. I would rather help to feed and bathe an elephant, and if he happens to swing me up on his back using his trunk and tells me he wants to take me wherever, then I will reconsider.

Now we will jump on a 6 hour busride to Sukuthai. Im looking forward to 1st class; not that our 3rd class experience on the train to get here wasnt a hoot. That will teach me to trust what the train schedule on the internet says. 3rd class on the train was fun, minus the heat, sans the smell of dried fish wafting through the aisle and the young Thai boy who made frieds with me at first and then asked me for a tip (I guess cause he was so much fun to talk to?) We also had to be reminded that for the 2 1/2 hour trip we were to keep our feet planted firmly on the ground. We were sitting next to a monk and the lowest insult is to show him the bottom of your feet. I lost feeling in my lower half for the rest of the day. But hey, it was a true experience to be the only tourists for miles!

See you in Sukuthai, with some great pics!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Fair LadyBoy

So, I Guess We're Doing This?? 3k Mile Roadtrip, Here We Go!

Just to the Right of Burning Man