I would like to extend some very important thank you's: The first is to Richard Seiler (Michael's wundahful father) who allowed us to tap into his Netflix account. The second is to the creators of Breaking Bad. The third is to the genius who decided to grace the King Quality bus line with shotty, but workable wifi. Our 18-hour busride was semi-manageable because of all these factors. We splurged for the top of the line bus to take us from Guatemala City to Managua, Nicaragua and one of the perks, besides the questionable meat dish and hot dog they served, was that our buses (there were 3) came with wifi that allowed us to watch 8 episodes of Breaking Bad while cruising through Honduras and El Salvador. Granted, every 5 minutes we had to do the dance of pausing while it buffered, shutting down the app and stroking the IPad for good luck that our saving grace show would come back on. Holding the IPad, praying it would stop buffering and give me Walt back. It wasn't actu...
Our first real stop in Nicaragua will be Leon. If you can believe, cause I couldn't, we hopped on another bus just a few hours off our Breaking Bad 18 hour busride. Smashed in the back of a 14-person mini-van we took the 2 hour trip from Managua, Nicaragua to the second largest city, Leon. The big reason we headed north to Leon is because Michael found a tour group that leads overnight camping/hiking trips. I had decided a while back that I needed to throw myself into something uber physical and outside my comfort zone; because clearly roaches, food poisoning and caves haven't been enough. We spent a few nights in Leon just bouncing around; it's a cute colonial city with 10 churches in a 5 block radius and its own skate park. Skate park?? WOWWW!! I know, its not a ton to report on, but we did enjoy a beer on a roof. One of the churches with its historic lighting Sunset over a skate park Our hike started on the third day at 7:00am. I ...
Well this should be interesting! We are in our final countdown until jumping into the biggest road-trip I have ever taken, 3k + miles across this beautiful, and tumultuous, country to go see our family back east. Michael's entire family lives across CT and NYC and in a typical year, you know outside of a pandemic, social uprising and an anxiety pumping election, we are quick to jump on a plane to spend much needed time. This year is slightly different... I am not going to dig into how Covid threw us off kilter, because I know anyone reading this has their own Covid journey, set backs, losses and struggles as well. It is what unites us in this bizarre time, so you get it. I lost my job back in May but Michael has done an unbelievable job of securing wonderful partners and clients and has kept incredibly busy throughout. This flexibility of time and the silver lining of the pandemic led us to shrug our shoulders and just say "well...if not now, when?"...
awwww ronnie mcdonie says 'sawatdi'
ReplyDeletei got a shout out from across the world- nice work jsun :) miss your face!